March 16, 2008

Ruche Wonder

At our local thrift store I found a bunch of clothes that I absolutely loved but also absolutely could never where in public. I'm planning on making them into something else and I'll show each :)
Here's the first one:
This was my favorite! It was one of those things that you pick up on an impulse and hold onto it. I loved the feel of the fabric and the square neck line. I knew it would fit me like a bag, but I just had to get it.

I decided that it would be really cute to ruche it. So, I drew a line on the inside of the shirt where I wanted the ruching to go, then I cut a piece of 1/8 inch wide elastic as long as I want the circumference of the finished shirt to be. Here's how to ruche, turn the piece inside out, draw a straight line with chalk or soap where you want the elastic to go. Pin the elastic down on one end then put it on the sewing machine. Set it on zig zag stitch about medium wide, then pull the elastic while you sew. It's a little difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll find yourself ruching everything!

And thats it, its really easy, and the comments people give afterwards are so wonderful to hear! "Let me just say, you look fabulous!" "You made that!?!"

1 comment:

Malissa said...

I Love it. Great Job!!!!