March 18, 2008

Ruffled Skirt and Leg Warmers

My next project is made from this long black skirt. Every girl needs a long sensible skirt like this, but lets face it...it's not the most exciting thing.

I liked the idea of making a pleated skirt but as you might have noticed I'm not really a frilly type of girl. So, I added a little something to make it more sporty :)

So, I cut four long four inch wide strips from along the bottom. I hemmed up the left over skirt and sewed together a pair of strips to make two very long ones. Then I pleated one strip along the hem of the skirt and the other above the first one.
To pleat all you do is so on the strip with straight stitch and ever (The second pleated strip is optional but makes the skirt a little flirtier) You can also hem up all the strips before you put them on the skirt but I like the look of the rough edge.

Now for embellishments! Who doesn't love them? I took the car off of one of my dad's old t-shirts and just glued it on (with special fabric glue) You can also stitch it on if you don't have any glue but I couldn't on this one because its raised up.






Now, you all know the motto "waste not" so I used the t-shirt to make leg warmers and glued the word "mustang" on one of them.

Making leg warmers are really easy. Just measure your leg from just below the knee to the ground and add one inch, then measure around just below your knee and add one inch (my measurements were 17 and 12) Cut out the rectangle with those measurements from the front and back of the t-shirt. Fold each rectangle in half and use straight stitch to sew together the loose sides.

Fold the top down a tiny bit over 1 inch and use zig zag stitch along the bottom. (use whip stitch if your hand sewing) Then turn the tube inside out and cut two slits near each other. Cut one inch wide strips about 20-25 inches long from the same t-shirt or another of contrasting color. Thread the shirt strips through one hole and out the other.

And that's all! I'm really happy with my new hand made clothes. Now, I think I can safely call myself a seamstress!

4 comments:

Malissa said...

I am starting to think you need two majors...Archival Studies and Fashion Design!!!!!
Love you!!!
Aunt Missy

katie said...

wow thats so cool, i love it! you make the coolest stuff!! :D

katie said...

HAPPY EASTER!!!

katie said...

it was good,we didn't do much of anything just kinda layed around all day lol so how was your easter?